Last Updated September 1, 2020
Welcome to the website (the “Site”) of Emergence Equity Management, Inc. (“Emergence,” “we,” “us,” or “our”). Emergence is a Venture Capital firm that invests in early-stage technology companies (the “Service”).
1. PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT We collect information that alone or in combination with other information in our possession that relates to or could be used to identify you (“Personal Information”) as follows:
Personal Information You Provide: We collect the following categories of Personal Information from you when you sign up for our newsletter, complete a form on the Site, email us from the Site, or otherwise interact with us through the Site:
Identification Information: We may collect your name, email address, phone number, and mailing address.
Communication Information: We may collect information when you contact us with questions or concerns and when you voluntarily respond to questionnaires, surveys or requests for market research seeking your opinion and feedback. Providing Communication Information is optional to you.
Social Media Information: We have pages on social media sites like Twitter and LinkedIn (“Social Media Pages”). When you interact with our Social Media Pages, we may collect Personal Information that you elect to provide to us, such as your contact details. In addition, the companies that host our Social Media Pages may provide us with aggregate information and analytics regarding the use of our Social Media Pages. Please note that the information you provide on our Social Media Pages may be collected and used by the companies that host our Social Media Pages in accordance with their respective privacy policies.
Internet Activity Information: When you visit, use, and interact with the Site, we may receive certain information about your visit, use, or interactions. For example, we may monitor the number of people that visit the Site, peak hours of visits, which page(s) are visited, the domains our visitors come from (e.g., google.com, yahoo.com, etc.), and which browsers people use to access the Site (e.g., Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, etc.), broad geographical information, and navigation pattern. In particular, the following information is created and automatically logged in our systems:
- Log Data: Information that your browser automatically sends whenever you visit the Site. Log Data includes your Internet Protocol address, browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, and how you interacted with the Site.
- Device Data: Includes name of the device, operating system, and browser you are using. Information collected may depend on the type of device you use and its settings.
- Usage Data: We may collect information about how you use our Site, such as the types of content that you view or engage with, the features you use, the actions you take, and the time, frequency, and duration of your activities.
- Location Data: We may derive a rough estimate of your location from the IP address used to access the Site.
- Email Open/Click Data: We may use pixels in our email campaigns that allow us to collect your email and IP address as well as the date and time you open an email or click on any links in the email.
On most web browsers, you will find a “help” section on the toolbar. Please refer to this section for information on how to receive a notification when you are receiving a new cookie and how to turn cookies off. Please see the links below for guidance on how to modify your web browser’s settings on the most popular browsers:
Please note that if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may be unable to access certain parts of the Site and you may not be able to benefit from the full functionality of the Site.
2. HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION We may use Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries, comments, feedback, or questions;
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Site or the Service and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies;
- To send you newsletters and other information about the Service;
- To analyze how you interact with our Site;
- To maintain and improve the Site;
- To develop new products and services;
- To prevent fraud, criminal activity, or misuses of our Site, and to ensure the security of our IT systems, architecture, and networks; and
- To comply with legal obligations and legal process and to protect our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or other third parties.
3. SHARING AND DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION Emergence does not sell your Personal Information. In certain circumstances we may share the categories of Personal Information described above without further notice to you, unless required by the law, with the following categories of third parties:
- Vendors and Service Providers: To assist us in meeting business operations needs and to perform certain services and functions, we may share Personal Information with vendors and service providers, including providers of hosting services, cloud services, and other information technology services providers, event management services, email communication software and email newsletter services, advertising and marketing services, payment processors, customer relationship management and customer support services, and web analytics services. Pursuant to our instructions, these parties will access, process, or store Personal Information in the course of performing their duties to us.
- Business Transfers: If we are involved in a merger, acquisition, financing due diligence, reorganization, bankruptcy, receivership, sale of all or a portion of our assets, or transition of service to another provider (collectively a “Transaction”), your Personal Information and other information may be shared in the diligence process with counterparties and others assisting with the Transaction and transferred to a successor or affiliate as part of that Transaction along with other assets.
- Legal Requirements: If required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (i) comply with a legal obligation, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements, (ii) protect and defend our rights or property, (iii) prevent fraud, (iv) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Site, or the public, or (v) protect against legal liability.
5. SECURITY You use the Site at your own risk. We implement commercially reasonable technical, administrative, and organizational measures to protect Personal Information both online and offline from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. However, no Internet or e-mail transmission is ever fully secure or error free. In particular, e-mail sent to or from us may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via the Site or e-mail. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Information to us via the Internet. In addition, we are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site, or third party websites.
6. CHILDREN Our Site is not directed to children who are under the age of 16. Emergence does not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under the age of 16. If you have reason to believe that a child under the age of 16 has provided Personal Information to us through the Site please contact us and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.
7. INTERNATIONAL USERS By using our Site, you understand and acknowledge that your Personal Information will be transferred from your location to our facilities and servers in the United States.
8. YOUR CHOICES In certain circumstances providing Personal Information is optional. However, if you choose not to provide Personal Information that is needed to use some features of our Site, you may be unable to use those features. You can also contact us to ask us to update or correct your Personal Information.
9. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS Where provided for by law and subject to any applicable exceptions, California residents may have the right:
- To know what Personal Information we have collected and how we have used and disclosed that Personal Information;
- To access the specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about you;
- To request deletion of your Personal Information;
- To opt out of the sale of your Personal Information (Emergence does not sell your Personal Information); and
- To be free from discrimination related to the exercise of these rights.
If you would like to exercise any or all of these rights, you may do so by calling 650-573-3100 or emailing us at email@example.com. After we receive your request, we may request additional information from you to verify your identity. Your authorized agent may submit requests in the same manner, although we may require the agent to present signed written permission to act on your behalf, and you may also be required to independently verify your identity with us and confirm that you have provided the agent permission to submit the request.