Editor-in-ChiefSan Francisco & San Mateo, CA
Our mission at Emergence is to help build the next generation of companies that change the way the world works. We focus on investing in early-stage enterprise startups — and have backed the likes of Salesforce, Bill.com, Doximity, Zoom, Veeva, Box, Yammer, Gusto, and others. Through the years, we’ve accumulated a good amount of tribal knowledge through a mix of overnight successes and hard-won lessons.
We’re now looking to bring on our first Editor-in-Chief to help share those lessons and tell the Emergence story.
You’ll have the opportunity to make our footprint in the enterprise ecosystem by liberating the wisdom our network of founders, operators, and investors have to share. This is a unique role where you’d work closely with our GPs and Operating Partners to produce our firm’s investment theses (where we think the future is heading), funding announcements (why we’re excited about the bets we’re making), and company-building best practices from our in-house team of experts.
This role balances creative vision, strategy, and execution. As our first storyteller, you’ll get to craft this brand-new function for the firm, create original content, and define how we democratize knowledge for the broader tech community.
This is a full-time role that will be based in the Bay Area (San Mateo & San Francisco) once we can safely return to office. Apply here.
- Interviewing the sharpest minds in the enterprise software industry. You should be inspired by the mandate to identify the next rising stars in b2b/enterprise and the chance to work with exceptional founders and operators to uncover unconventional insights.
- Writing longform content. Yes, even in this era of short attention spans, TikToks, viral memes, and emerging audio platforms (Clubhouse, podcasts), we believe there’s still an opportunity to create in-depth, meaningful written content. We want your readers to learn from the stories you’ll tell and for the Emergence site to become a go-to destination for anyone looking to start, build, or scale an iconic enterprise company.
- Owning strategic content projects for the firm. This can range from researching and developing new thesis areas to tracking relevant trends and interesting angles to ensure full coverage of current and future takes.
- Acting as our firm’s knowledge broker. There will be a healthy mix of external-facing and internal, portfolio-facing content to tackle and you will be tasked with ensuring this knowledge is being served to each of the respective audiences.
- Increasing our firm’s brand awareness. You know what works but also enjoy experimenting across content marketing formats and mediums to syndicate our team’s knowledge across multiple channels to reach new readers and further our brand in the broader tech community.
This position is not:
- An investment role. Instead, it is a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the VC and enterprise/SaaS industries and learn the art of thesis development and company-building from the Emergence team and our portfolio.
- A communications/PR/social media role. We’ve got this covered. Rather, you will collaborate with our platform and investment teams to capture learnings, find new ideas, develop original content and partner with PR to maximize distribution.
- All glamorous. It involves a lot of behind-the-scenes work doing extensive research, interviewing, editing, managing content projects, writing copy, maintaining a content calendar, etc.
What you’ll get out of this position:
- Key insights into how early-stage venture funds actually support portfolio companies.
- Hands-on learnings from portfolio companies as they operate, fundraise, and scale from the earliest-stages through post-IPO.
- Access to a premier network of entrepreneurs, executives, and investors.
- An unparalleled career opportunity to chart new territory for the firm and define our content strategy.
Who we’re looking for:
We’ve seen a variety of backgrounds perform well in this role. Some examples of profiles we think could be great:
- A writer, first and foremost. You identify as a wordsmith and enjoy the process of creating content end-to-end, from ideation to publication. You must love writing and editing as you’ll be doing a lot of it.
- A naturally curious person. You must be hungry to learn the ins and outs of company building and the world of early-stage venture capital. You love doing primary research, interviewing people, hearing their life stories, and distilling complex topics into easy-to-digest information.
- A true owner. You must be process-oriented, hyper-attentive to detail, and sees projects through to the end.
We believe the strength of our team comes from diverse backgrounds and experiences. You might be a good fit if:
- You’re fascinated by technology and how today’s entrepreneurs are shaping the future.
- You don’t necessarily have deep knowledge of the venture capital industry, but you are excited about the field and eager to learn the business quickly.
- You thrive in fast-paced environments with quick feedback loops.
- You’re laser focused on execution with the aim to get things done. We maintain high standards and are looking for someone who shares this core value. You’re deeply organized and reliable above all else.
- You’re a great teammate who works well with others. You are constantly helping us think through how we can be better.
- You have a low ego, are self-motivated, and take initiative.
- You’re curious and intuitive—a creative and unconventional thinker, yet also highly analytical and logical.
- You’re a phenomenal (and prolific) writer and pride yourself on thoughtful communication. You know the right questions to ask, as well as when to listen and learn.
- You have the polish and presence to regularly interact with top-tier CEOs, founders, and entrepreneurs.
If this sounds like you, and you have at least 3+ years of content/editorial experience, we’d love to hear from you.
At Emergence, we value resourcefulness, diversity, team play, excellence, and hustle. We believe in the importance of an inclusive and diverse team. We welcome people of all ages, genders, ethnicities, orientations, and backgrounds to apply.
Interested? Apply here.