Gordon Ritter / General Partner
Gordon Ritter is a Founder and General Partner of Emergence Capital Partners. Prior to founding Emergence, he spent over 15 years founding and building companies which pioneered new markets including embedded web-based interfaces, server appliances, “On Demand” services for the SMB market and web-native application development. In 2003, Gordon led Emergence Capital’s first investment, in Salesforce.com. In 2008, Gordon invested in Industry Cloud pioneer Veeva Systems when the company had 25 employees and less than $2 million in revenue. He has played a key role in the company’s development (now a public company NYSE:VEEV) and he is currently Veeva’s Chairman. Gordon was named to the Forbes’ Midas List of the top venture capital investors in 2007, 2012, 2014 and 2015.
Prior to founding Emergence, Gordon was co-Founder and CEO of Software As Service, a web services platform company he created with Marc Benioff, the Chairman and CEO of Salesforce.com. Software As Service is the origin of Salesforce.com’s Salesforce1 platform. Prior to founding Software As Service, he ran the $3 billion IBM Global Small Business division, created as a result of IBM’s acquisition of his company, Whistle Communications in 1999. He was responsible for IBM’s launch partnership with Salesforce.com. Prior to IBM, Gordon was co-Founder and President of Whistle, a pioneering Internet appliance and web services platform. Gordon also co-founded Tribe Communications, a networking infrastructure company, and he was a VP of Capital Markets at Credit Suisse First Boston in New York.
Gordon has a B.A. in Economics from Princeton University, where he rowed on the heavyweight crew team. He lives in San Francisco with his wife and four children. He enjoys a range of endurance sports and recently summited both Denali and Aconcagua, and completed a 250-mile trail run across Switzerland.
Executive Assistant / Lacey Rosenberg
In The News & Thoughts
- How AI Can Prove Workers’ Best Defense In The Race Against Automation
- Salesforce Steps Up Dealmaking to Keep Pace With Rivals in Cloud
- With LinkedIn deal, Microsoft is bringing in a new era of software
- Why Risky Behavior Is Essential For Success As An Entrepreneur & Investor
- Insightly raises $25 mln from Scott Bommer, Emergence, Cloud Apps, Sozo
- Term Sheet — Tuesday, April 19
- Why More Cloud Companies Specialize In a Single Industry
- With New Funding, Textio Trains Machines to Improve HR Writing
- [VIDEO] Veeva CEO, Peter Gassner, Shares Insights about Industry Cloud
- What Makes an Industry Cloud Leader?
- Indianapolis as an Epicenter of Innovation: High Alpha Raises $35M
- Which Industries Are Uber-Vulnerable for Cloud Disruption?
- Emergence Capital raises new, $335M fund for cloud, enterprise mobile, & collaboration investments
- Emergence VC Ritter on why he raised only a third of $1B he could have
- Emergence Capital’s Gordon Ritter talks focus and customer intimacy on the eve of his firm’s $335M fourth fund
- The Evolution of the Industry Cloud: A Q+A with Gordon Ritter of Emergence Capital
- The Enterprise in 2015 – Predictions from Emergence partners
- Gordon Ritter on The Midas List of The Best Venture Capitalists for 2014
- Industry Cloud Rising: Five Hallmarks of an Industry Cloud Company
- Are you in a cloud friendly industry?
- Gordon Ritter: Veeva Systems is the next Salesforce
- Gordon Ritter Interviewing George Hu, COO, Salesforce.com
- Gordon Ritter Makes List of 2012 Power Players in the Cloud
- B2B Investor Gordon Ritter Excited by VC Market’s Pivot
- Three Things Every Software Investor Should Know
- Gordon Ritter Included in 2012 Midas List
- Emergence Capital’s Gordon Ritter On The Venture Industry’s Swinging Pendulum
- Gordon Ritter’s Seven Summit Strategies for Reaching the Top
- Emergence Partner Gordon Ritter on 2007 Midas List
- With these 25 startups, VCs smiled all the way to the bank
We are leaders who invest in leaders. We know what success looks like.
“We invest with firm-wide conviction".